How F2F HICs Help Families
F2F HICs uniquely qualified able to help families because they, themselves, are parents of CYSHCN. F2F staff understand:
- the needs of famlies when they first learn that their child has a problem;
- how confusing medical jargon, technology, and services can be;
- the anxiety when financing isn't available to pay for needed therapies, medicine a dn equipment;
- how exhausting a parent feels trying to secure services for their CYSHCN while meeting the needs of their whole family;
- the anger parents feel when medical claims are rejected, calls are not returned, conflicting information is given by state agencies, and when state budgets cut the programs their child depends on; and
- the frustration parents feel when care among providers is not coordinated, when they're left out of decisions, when their opinions and knowledge is ignored.
Staff at F2F HICs also know:
- how to find a program to provide care and how to apply for it;
- how to submit an appeal;
- how to find a support group;
- how to work with schools;
- how to find another parent with similar issues/needs;
- how to share information with providers, how to partner in decision-making.
Because of this knowledge and their organizational capacity to reach families of all backgrounds, data indicates that F2F HICs are very successful in helping families navigate systems, become more confident, and partner with professionals in decision-making.
What Families say about the Help they Receive
Families Report Impact of F2F Assistance/Training
as reported by 51 F2F HICs (2009-2010)